- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled large shrimp
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots with tops, each cut into 3 pieces
- 2 celery stalks, each cut into 3 pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- To prepare broth, peel shrimp, reserving shells. Set shrimp aside.
- Combine shrimp shells, water, and next 7 ingredients (water through quartered onion) in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until reduced to 3 cups (about 40 minutes). Strain broth through a sieve into a bowl, and discard solids.
- To prepare pilau, melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, celery, green pepper,and garlic and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in red pepper and tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, rice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Posted in: Fish