Viet Sambal Chicken Skewers
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 2 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch–2-inch pieces
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water at least 1 hour
- Whisk brown sugar, vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, Sriracha, and ginger in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Thread 4 or 5 chicken pieces onto each skewer.
- Transfer marinade to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half (about 1 cup), 7–10 minutes.
- Grill chicken, turning and basting often with reduced marinade, until cooked through.