Apples Bonne Femme
- 6 large apples (2 pounds)
- Round of stale bread for each apple
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/3 cup light maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a corer or a knife, core apples. Be sure to plunge the corer or knife straight down so that it doesn’t miss the core (if this happens, use the corer or knife to remove any remaining seeds).
- With the point of a knife, make an incision in the skin about a third of the way down each apple and cut through the skin 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep all around. As the apple cooks, the flesh expands and the part of the apple above this cut will lift up like a lid. Without this scoring, the apple could burst.
- Arrange the apples on top of the bread rounds in a gratin dish or other baking dish . Coat the apples with the apricot jam and maple syrup and dot with the butter. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Baste the apples with the juice, and cook for another 30 minutes. The apples should be cooked throughout — plump, brown, and soft to the touch. Let cool to lukewarm before serving.
- Posted in: Deserts