Asian Pork Ribs
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- Zest of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot chili paste (such as Sambal Oelek)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped or grated ginger
- 3 to 4 pounds of ribs
- Make the marinade: In a small bowl, put the shallots, lemon zest, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili paste, salt, sugar, five-spice powder, garlic and ginger. Mix well.
- Put the meat in a deep baking dish or roasting pan and add marinade. Using your hands, coat ribs well. Let marinate, refrigerated, for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight, well wrapped. Bring back to room temperature before proceeding.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Add 2 cups water to the pan, cover tightly with foil and place pan in oven. Cook for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees for 1 hour more. When done, the meat should be very tender, nearly but not quite falling off the bone. Remove cover and return to the oven for about 15 minutes until the ribs are nicely browned.
- Remove ribs from pan. Pour pan juices into a saucepan and skim fat. Reduce over high heat until somewhat thickened, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, divide ribs with a sharp knife and pile them onto a platter.
- Use reduced cooking juices for dipping sauce.
- Posted in: Pork