Thursday, January 5th, 2012
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place bread in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine crumbs form.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, and add ground beef.
- Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and parsley in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until fine.
- Add to meat mixture, using hands to mix well. Add egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, salt, and pepper; use hands to combine thoroughly.
- Place in an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
Combine remaining 1/2 cup ketchup, remaining teaspoon dry mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl; stir until smooth.
- Brush mixture over meatloaf; place in the oven.
- Cook until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 160 degrees, about 90 minutes. If top gets too dark, cover with foil, and continue baking.