Filipino Chicken Adobo
Tuesday, April 10th, 2012
The acidity of the vinegar and saltiness of the soy sauce typifies Filipino cuisine. Chicken adobo is the national dish of the Philippines.
- 1 package of 4 chicken thighs—bone in and skin on
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tsp of pepper corns
- ½ cup of cider vinegar
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- Marinate chicken in soy sauce, bay leaves and garlic for several hours or over night.
- Heat skillet or deep heavy bottomed pot and add 2 tablespoons of light olive oil or cooking oil.
- Shake excess soy sauce off chicken and lay chicken in pot skin side down and brown. Flip and brown. About ten minutes.
- Add marinade and peppercorns
- Cover and simmer for fifteen minutes
- Add water and simmer ten minutes uncovered
- Add vinegar and sugar and reduce sauce to desired thickness.
- Serve with rice.