Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce
Sunday, September 21st, 2014
- 1/2 leftover rotisserie chicken (or turkey), skin removed and meat shredded
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) Libby’s pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 cups water (or chicken stock)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeno chile, quartered (remove ribs and seeds for less heat, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl combine chicken and scallions. Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a blender, puree pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, 2 1/2 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth (hold top firmly as blender will be quite full).
- our 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of an 8-inch square (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish.
- Lay tortillas on work surface; mound chicken mixture on half of each tortilla, dividing evenly.
- Roll up tortillas; place, seam side down, in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce on top; sprinkle with cheese.
- Place dish on a baking sheet; bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a green salad.