Tuesday, January 17th, 2012
This is a lasagna with egg plant instead of pasta .
- 1 large eggplant cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 28 ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried oregano
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Mozzarella balls, torn into pieces
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Arrange eggplant slices in large baking sheet. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt
- Broil for twelve minutes turning over half way through. Set aside.
- In large sauce pan saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add crushed tomatoes and oregano and bring to boil and simmer for fifteen minutes until sauce is thick and pulpy.
- Stir in fresh basil.
- Spoon in thin layer of sauce on bottom of heatproof serving dish, dot over third of mozzarella. Cover with layer of eggplant and then repeat layering process twice more, finishing with a layer of sauce and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Garnish with basil and sever with a crisp green salad.
Hands-on time about thirty minutes. Serves two.