Sunday, September 21st, 2014
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb. package of hamburger
- 2-3 tbsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 2 tsp of freshly ground cumin
- 2 tsp of ground pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 finely sliced serrano chili
- 2 cans of pinto beans
- 1 can of beef broth
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes whirled in food processor
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Add oil to pot.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, and chilies and sauté for about 10 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add dry spices.
- Fry hamburger in skillet, crumble, and add to chili pot.
- Add the beef broth, pinto beans (including liquid), and tomatoes. Simmer for about an hour.
- Thin out with water if desired.
- Serve over rice and top with grated cheddar and/or sour cream.
- A side of cold, finely shredded iceberg lettuce with green goddess dressing makes a good contrast with the hot chili.